Tandem Industry Academia (TIA) Professor
Info webinar: 4 September 2023 at 9:30–11:00 (A link to the recording of the event)
Call opens: 4 September 2023
Call closes: 15 October 2023 at 23:59
Interviews for shortlisted applicants in November (13.11. and 17.11.)
Decisions announced in December.
Funding period: 12 months between 1 January 2024 and 31 December 2026.
Funding for TIA Professor
TIA Professor funding is intended to support joint research projects undertaken by professors working at universities and research institutes in partnership with an industrial company. The funding has a dual objective: On the one hand, it will give academic partners first-hand knowledge about relevant areas of research interest for industry partners; and on the other hand, it will give industry partners unique access to top-tier research insights in the fields of their interest.
Projects may involve precompetitive research and other supportive activities. The funding covers the professor’s salary costs for 12 months spread out over a maximum of three years. During the funding period the TIA Professor will spend a period equivalent to one full year working in facilities provided by the industrial host.
TIA Professor funding is intended for professorial academics working at universities and government research institutes. The grant ensures a competitive salary and covers other possible costs, such as travel, equipment and publishing expenses. The industrial host contributes by providing in-kind resources, including the physical workspace and other facilities needed by the TIA Professor. Applications are submitted by the professor together with the industrial host and the academic research organization. The funding is paid out to the academic organization, with which the professor remains in an employment relationship.
- Applications are invited from applicants holding a professorial position (e.g. professor, tenure-track professor, research director, chief researcher) at a Finnish university or government research institute
- Applicants shall have an employment contract with their university or government research institute
- The funding is paid out to the applicant’s host organization, with which the professor will remain in an employment relationship throughout the TIA Professorship
- The industrial host shall provide the professor with the necessary workspace and other facilities
- The industrial host is expected to contribute in-kind resources to the project
- The funding provides for a 10% raise to the professor’s current salary for the duration of the funding period (12 months)
- The TIA Professor’s joint project with the industrial host may include precompetitive research and/or other supportive activities
Carefully read the guidelines before submitting your application.