FRIF works to enhance the impact of cutting-edge academic research by promoting cooperation with industry.
Tandem Industry Academia Postdoc 2024
Tandem Industry Academia (TIA) Postdoc funding supports joint research projects between academic and industrial partners, and it is aimed at encouraging ambitious precompetitive projects that further the aims of both leading-edge academic research and business and industry.
The 5th round of the Finnish Research Impact Foundation’s Tandem Industry Academia Postdoc (TIA Postdoc) call will open in March 2024. The application period is from 4 March to 14 April. Please read the call info and the updated application guidelines carefully in advance and register for the info webinar.
A recent report by the Finnish Research Impact Foundation, published in November 2023, opens up interesting perspectives on the role and opportunities of business collaboration in the social sciences, humanities and arts research. The launch event of the report on 30 November provided an opportunity to learn more about the main findings and to hear from top international experts at the interface between academia and business.
What does the Finnish Research Impact Foundation do?
FRIF provides funding for joint industry-academia projects
FRIF invests annually some two million euros to support research collaborations through its Tandem Industry Academia funding programme. The funding is first and foremost driven by research considerations and objectives. In practice this means the following:
- All funding is paid out to a university or research organization
- The industry partner contributes unique know-how and/or resources to the project and benefits from the accumulation of first-hand expertise
- All research results are published on an open access basis so that not only the industry partner but also the academic community and other industry stakeholders can benefit
- Project teamwork between academic researchers and industry partners is conducive to the formation of close networks. These networks can lead to new collaborations and increase industry-academia cooperation on completion of the project.
- In the course of joint projects, researchers accumulate industry expertise that will allow them to take on expert roles in industry and to conduct unique research
FRIF explores and improves conditions for research cooperation
Projects funded by FRIF provide the opportunity to collect and produce information about research-driven industry cooperation and the conditions for its success. We also develop tools for measuring and assessing impact in the research funding field and prompt public debate about the conditions for cooperation. FRIF hosts various forums to facilitate meetings and exchange between industry and academia.
FRIF promotes research excellence and boosts Finnish business and industry
For Finnish industry, joint projects are an important point of access to cutting-edge research results. At the same time, research organizations can learn about the needs of business companies, construct new research questions and launch projects that serve the future needs of business and industry. In this way FRIF’s efforts also bolster Finnish long-term competitiveness and lay the groundwork for the renewal of skills and knowledge.