Tandem Industry Academia 2023
Info webinar: 1 March 2023 at 09:30–11:00 (online – register here)
Call open date: 1 March 2023
Call close date: 16 April 2023
Funding decisions will be made in August 2023.
Funding term: Two years during the period between 1 Sep 2023 and 31 Jan 2026
There are no specific research themes for the call, but the Foundation is keen to support new innovative approaches, multidisciplinary cooperation and new consortia between academic and industrial partners that can produce high-impact outcomes for business and industry and for the economy as a whole.
The application shall clearly demonstrate the benefits and impacts of collaboration for both parties and for society and the economy more widely. All applications will be reviewed by outside experts of scientific and industrial impact. Applications will be assessed with equal weight given to the academic quality of the research and the impact of the project on business and industry. Projects funded are expected to produce high-quality research publications and immaterial property rights with substantial innovation potential.
This is the fourth round of TIA funding calls. The Foundation currently funds 30 TIA Postdoc projects. The Foundation is looking to award funding to roughly the same number of projects as in previous rounds.
The Finnish Research Impact Foundation’s mission is to strengthen collaboration between academia and industry and in this way to increase the impact of research. Ultimately these efforts will contribute to bolster Finnish business and industry through world-class research and at the same time create a stronger platform for Finland’s renewal and regeneration and the development of Finnish know-how.
- Tandem Industry Academia Postdoc (TIA Postdoc) supports joint research projects between academic and industrial partners and promotes mobility across the academia-business interface. The TIA funding model has been developed by FRIF with a view to encouraging ambitious precompetitive projects that further the aims of both leading-edge academic research and business and industry.
- Funding for joint research projects between academia and industry
- Funding will be granted to a university or research institute (“academic partner”) for the purpose of hiring a postdoc researcher for two years
- The postdoc researcher will spend 12 months working at an academic organization and 12 months in the industrial partner’s organization. The periods spent in the two project organizations can be flexibly allocated and are defined in the project plan.
- The researcher remains employed by the academic partnerthroughout the two-year period
- The application shall be filed by the research team’s Principal Investigator (PI) together with the Industrial Supervisor representing the industrial partner. The application can also be completed by a delegate within the academic organization
- Funding will be paid to the academic partner as a project grant, including additional expenses. FRIF will provide funding to cover full project costs in accordance with the full cost model for 12 months and the postdoc researcher’s salary and other personnel costs for another 12 months. Funding for other expenses can also be applied for.
- The same company may be involved as a partner in more than one application filed with FRIF.
Carefully read the guidelines before submitting your application.