The call is closed. See open calls for proposals. »
Tandem Industry Academia (TIA) Professor -funding
Info webinar: 12 September 2022 at 14:00–15:00 (online – register here)
Call opens: 12 September 2022
Call closes: 9 October 2022 at 23:59
Interviews for shortlisted applicants in November (25.11. and 28.11.)
Decisions announced in early December.
Funding period: 12 months between 1 January 2023 and 28 February 2026.
Funding for TIA Professor
TIA Professor funding is intended to support joint research projects undertaken by professors working at universities and research institutes in partnership with an industrial company. The funding has a dual objective: On the one hand, it will give academic partners first-hand knowledge about relevant areas of research interest for industry partners; and on the other hand, it will give industry partners unique access to top-tier research insights in the fields of their interest.
Projects may involve precompetitive research and other supportive activities. The funding covers the professor’s salary costs for 12 months spread out over a maximum of three years. During the funding period the TIA Professor will spend a period equivalent to one full year working in facilities provided by the industrial host.
TIA Professor funding is intended for professorial academics working at universities and government research institutes. The grant ensures a competitive salary and covers other possible costs, such as travel, equipment and publishing expenses. The industrial host contributes by providing in-kind resources, including the physical workspace and other facilities needed by the TIA Professor. Applications are submitted by the professor together with the industrial host and the academic research organization. The funding is paid out to the academic organization, with which the professor remains in an employment relationship.
In line with its strategy adopted in 2021, the Finnish Research Impact Foundation is committed to piloting funding instruments that promote collaboration between top-tier research and industry. The new TIA Professor pilot is the second novel funding experiment launched by FRIF. Under the Tandem Industry Academia programme for postdoc researchers, first announced in 2020 and opening its third call in spring 2022, the foundation has to date provided funding for 22 joint projects between research organizations and business companies.
- Applications are invited from applicants holding a professorial position (e.g. professor, tenure-track professor, research director, chief researcher) at a Finnish university or government research institute
- Applicants shall have an employment contract with their university or government research institute
- The funding is paid out to the applicant’s host organization, with which the professor will remain in an employment relationship throughout the TIA Professorship
- The industrial host shall provide the professor with the necessary workspace and other facilities
- The industrial host is expected to contribute in-kind resources to the project
- The funding provides for a 10% raise to the professor’s current salary for the duration of the funding period (12 months)
- The TIA Professor’s joint project with the industrial host may include precompetitive research and/or other supportive activities
Carefully read the guidelines before submitting your application.